The Board of Trustees has approved a contract award for renovations to the Our Lady of Fatima school site on Baldoon Road in Chatham. The school will become the new home of Monsignor Uyen Catholic School, the Board’s French Immersion school in Chatham.
“This is an exciting project that will result in a fresh new look for the Fatima site, as it becomes the new home for French Immersion in Chatham,” says Deb Crawford, Director of Education. “It is an important part of the Board’s re-envisioning of Catholic education in Chatham.”
The current Our Lady of Fatima community will be relocated to the new St. Angela Merici Catholic School, along with students and staff from St. Vincent and St. Agnes Catholic schools, with classes to begin in September 2020.
Renovations at the Fatima site will include:
- A new main entrance and canopy with an atrium and main office and conference room renovations;
- A learning commons renovation and introduction of pod-style learning in the south corridor;
- Relocation of the staff room and teacher work room;
- An enlarged gymnasium with a drop down stage, new athletic flooring and new change rooms;
- A refresh of existing classrooms, with a complete replacement of flooring, new paint, new millwork, new tack boards and whiteboards, new classroom doors and window blinds.
Wilson Diaz Architects Incorporated of London has been engaged as the prime consultant for the project and has completed the tendering process. The Board has awarded the contract to the low bidder, Intrepid General Limited of Belle River. The total project cost is $4,956,238 and will be funded by the Board’s annual School Condition Improvement allocation.
The work is expected to be completed in time for Monsignor Uyen to begin classes in the newly renovated school in September 2021.