The well-being of all members of our school communities, including students, families and staff, is a top priority for St. Clair Catholic. We are writing to let you know that the province released its testing plan on Friday May 29, 2020, Protecting Ontarians Through Enhanced Testing. Ontario now has the most open testing criteria in the country.
Ontario’s testing guidance now indicates that you should visit an assessment centre if you:
- Have at least one of the symptoms of COVID-19
- Do not have symptoms but are concerned you might have been exposed
- Do not have symptoms but think you are at risk through your employment (for example, if you are an essential or health care worker)
- Would like to be tested
To support Ontarians who have identified the need to get tested, as of May 24, 2020, people will no longer need a referral to go to any of the more than 130 assessment centres across Ontario for testing. No Ontarian will be declined a test.
Given this expanded guidance, if you do choose to get tested, here are a few important notes:
- Testing is voluntary.
- You do not need an OHIP card to be tested. It is a free service.
- Some assessment centres may require you to book an appointment first or have certain restrictions (for example, some are unable to test young children). Find out more about an assessment centre near you.
- You can also take an online self-assessment to help determine if you should get tested.
- If you are free of symptoms and have not had contact with anyone confirmed to have COVID-19 when presenting for testing, you will not be required to self-isolate. However, you should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days regardless of your test result. If you begin to develop symptoms, self-isolate and contact your local public health unit for further advice.
You can also stay informed and visiting Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19. Local information is available by contacting Chatham-Kent Public Health at https://ckphu.com/ or Lambton Public Health at https://lambtonpublichealth.ca/.
Director of Education